The History of Holden Street Theatres
All Saint's Anglican Church (now Holden Street Theatres, The Arch)
Circa 1875, Photo taken by Samuel White.
Summary [General description] All Saint's Anglican Church at Hindmarsh. This limestone and brick church was designed by Henry Stuckey in the Norman style and opened in 1850. (Bishop Augustus Short laid the foundation stone in 1849). A gallery was added in 1855 and the chancel and vestry were added in 1872. Another copy of this image can be found at B 17409.
Dates / Publication details: Approximately 1875
Creator: Sweet, Samuel White
Holden Street Theatres is so lucky to have a rich history in Hindmarsh.
It all started in 1849 when Bishop Augustus Short laid the first foundation stone for the All Saint's Anglican Church which would later become The Arch. Built in the Norman style the limestone church was opened on the 23rd of June 1850. A rectory was also built during this time to house the clergy, a chancel and a vestry where then added in 1872. Due to lack of funds the church had to rely on donations from the community to add the chancel and vestry, with local Thebarton resident, John Taylor, donating a majority of the £272 needed.
As the years went on and the congregation grew a church hall (which would later become The Studio) was built and opened to the public on March 28, 1882. Many years later a gallery was added and completed in 1955. The buildings were listed on the Register of the National Estate on 28 September 1982 and on the South Australian Heritage Register on 23 November 1989.
Unfortunately during the later half of the 20th century the beautiful old buildings became disused and dilapidated until Weslo Holdings and the Nature Foundation of South Australia (NFSA) came along. While the NFSA took over the rectory as it's head offices, the church and church hall where converted into theatres under the direction of Martha Lott at Weslo Holdings. The complex was taken over in 2002 with the original refurbishment of the All Saint's Anglican Church turning into The Arch in 2004, while the old church hall became The Studio and its gallery become The Box Bar. In December 2020 the NFSA vacated the rectory and we added the building to our hub. This added several more small spaces that can be used for performance, rehearsal, development or exhibition spaces, a garden area, a kitchen, office and family room to create the Holden Street Theatres' Arts Park. A creative arts hub that can nurture artists from inception to performance.
We ran our first Fringe in 2004 with five shows. Since then our Fringe program has grown extensively with our biggest year in 2020, when we had 24 shows, 6 performance spaces and 336 session. Over the years we have won over 100 Fringe awards as well as given out 26 awards of our own. Starting in 2008 we have awarded the Holden Street Theatres' Edinburgh Fringe Award, the only award of its kind that tours work from the Edinburgh Fringe to the Adelaide Fringe. With the inaugural winner The Tailor of Inverness heading to Australia in 2009 to headline our program. In 2016 the Holden Street Theatres' Adelaide Fringe Award started as well that gives free hire to emerging Adelaide artists to develop or stage their new works.
Holden Street Theatres strives to support and nurture the local creative arts scene while also getting involved with our flourishing Hindmarsh community. While we are most known for our Fringe program, we are a performing arts hub operating year round with spaces for hire and many excellent shows to see. We are often involved in many other festivals throughout the year including Feast, Adelaide Cabaret Fringe, SALA, Umbrella Festival, Guitars in Bars, Hidden Hindmarsh and many more. We're so thrilled to keep this wonderful part of history alive and active within the community.
Painting by James Shaw showing the All Saint's Anglican Church and rectory, painted circa 1864.
The All Saint's Church choir, circa 1850-1871.
All Saint's Church in use, circa 1850-1871.
Church officials standing outside the rectory.
The rectory, circa 1850 - 1871.
The old rectory and formally the head offices for the Nature Foundation of South Australia. Now part of the Holden Street Theatres' Arts Park.
Reproduction of an oil painting by James Shaw of All Saints Anglican Church at Hindmarsh. This is the rectory and All Saints Church, now known as The Arch and Holden Street Theatres' Arts Park.
Holden Street Theatres Trivia
Holden Street Theatres' interior and changes over the years...
All Saint's Anglican Church
23rd June, 1850
Chancel and Vestry
28th March, 1882
South Australian Heritage Register
28th September, 1982
Holden Street Theatres
First Fringe Program
Holden Street Theatres' Arts Park
17 December, 2020